Imagine ending your year with a "Beyond Optimal" fitness test! That's what I did. I took a "Hydrostatic Body Fat Test" which is an advanced and accurate for of "body fat" test and for the first time in my life move to the beyond optimal level. This journey began for me in 2010. I was "beyond poor". I had just turned 50. I was on blood pressure medication to control my hypotension. I was 50 pounds overweight. I was on a path to self destruction. That when I made a major commitment to change my lifestyle. Fast forward to 2015 and I'm beginning my year with a "Beyond Optimal" lean muscle mass to body fat ratio. How'd I do it? I'm glad you asked.
1. I listened to those around me. The very first thing I did was listen to those closest to me. My wife and daughter gave me a gym membership for Christmas in 2009. I didn't use it at first, but when you love ones give you a gym membership or a gift card to a doctor's office they are trying to tell you something. This got my attention and I started listening to those around me.
2. I took extreme measures. The next thing I did was hired a personal trainer. I hired him for six-months for three sessions a week and paid him upfront to come to my house and train me. I know if I haven't put so much into it up front I would have quite 2 or 3 weeks into it. Going all in forced me to stick to it in the early days.
3. I changed it up. Last year I started doing Crossfit. My wife wanted to give it a try, but at 54 I was sure. I mean it looked like a really young extreme way of approaching fitness. I fell in love with it. Today I would recommend Crossfit to anyone serious about changing their overall health and life regardless of age or current fitness level. If someone will commit a year to Crossfit it will change their life.
4. I became a student. I didn't realize how ignorant I was when it came down to overall health. Today fitness and health has become a hobby. I spend time everyday studying lifting forms, nutritional information, recovery, etc. I'm healthier than I've ever been and I know more about staying healthier then I ever have. This is not an accident.
5. I started enjoying it. Recently I started doing Crossfit Competitively. Actually it's hard to do Crossfit and not be competitive. In October I competed in my first competition and won my age division. In February I'll compete in my second competition. I don't know that I will win it, but I've improved so much since October's competition. I can't wait. In February and March I will participate in the Crossfit Open which is a worldwide competition. I competing last year after only a few months of doing Crossfit and managed to complete every workout. I think I was ranked like 1500 in my age division. This year I'm looking forward to competing and frankly will be a little disappointed if I'm not in the top 100 in my age division. Regardless I'm having fun. I do this with my wife and together we are having a blast.
6. I set big goals. I have some really big goals. They are very personal to me. My to live a healthy life. The other week my wife, Tami hit a PR (Personal Record) when she was doing deadlifts. I was so pleased! At 55 she's hitting PRs... at 75 she will benefit even more from every PR she hit. We want to live a full, long, and healthy life together. Staying healthy is one key to this big goal.
If I can do it you can do it. Go for it in 2015. You can be beyond optimal! You already are!
David Putman is founder of PTG and a Lead Navigator for Auxano.